Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Colored Safety Pin Yin Yang

I am, despite being extremely hard to please, actually quite easy to please. There are a few simple things that inspire a child-like giddiness in me that defies explanation. Like new office supplies and any kind of clothing or accessory with snaps on it. And colored safety pins. Now, I'm kind of a fan of safety pins anyway, but something about the colored ones just makes me happy. My mom recently bought me a nice warm robe from the thrift store and as I was trying it on I noticed a black safety pin fastened to the front. Black being one of my favorite colors, and colored safety pins being one of life's little joys, I immediately shucked off the robe and ran to stash my find somewhere I wouldn't lose it. (At this point, Mom threatened to hide the discarded robe from me and give it to me for Christmas.) In a nice moment of serendipity, my friend Lloyd found a white safety pin just days after I told him about finding the black one. He noticed it on the floor while cleaning up at work and brought it home for me.

I now have the two pins on the strap of my purse, with the heads facing opposite directions. I call this my Safety Pin Model of the Nature of Duality. Subtitled: I Like Colored Safety Pins.

No comments: